Monday, April 18, 2011

Why the Day AFTER my Birthday is just as Special...

I am so fortunate to be in a family that cherishes birthdays! Growing up an only child, my birthday was always very special to my parents. They still play the same old "My name is Zoom, and I live on the Moon- Hey Heather it's your birthday"cassette tape. I imagine there is no stopping them at this point. I have lived through high school with my friends hearing this childish song, through meeting my husband and him hearing this childish song, and now my school age children are learning the Zoom song. It really is a lot of fun.

Not only does my nuclear family cherish birthdays, but my extended family celebrates monthly for all birthdays that occurred within that month. You can count on good food, good desserts, lots of children running around (most adopted through the foster care system-which I love), and the most OFF-Tune Birthday song you have ever heard. I have some family members that love to sing and have beautiful voices. We all sing our own version at the same time. It's great to watch new family members arrive and watch their faces as they hear the most OFF-Tune Birthday song ever. It's almost a right-of-passage into our family.

This year I am reminded that April 18th is just as special as April 17th for me. On this day, I had my first date with my husband of 11 1/2 years (you learn to report time in this manner when you have a 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 year old). I still remember him coming to pick me up for our first date to the theatre. After 11 years, it is easy to forget what attracted you to each other. It is easy to let the stress of children and life become a barrier into your relationship. Each year, I ask one favor of Ben on our anniversary and my birthday. I want him to shave whatever facial hair he has grown, so I can remember the man I married. For those of you that don't know my husband, he has a talent with growing facial hair overnight, and he likes a wide variety of designs of facial fur. It's quite unique! 
On this day, I am cherishing the man I married in 1999~

Uh, oh...the cherished man just realized his picture was taken. Quick, where is my daughter??? No, honey, really just taking a picture of the flowers you just planted. By the way, that look says "I love you, and you are crazy!"


NOT ONLY did I connect with my husband on April 18th, but Annie was placed in our home on April 18th. We had met Annie before this day, but it took awhile before our home study and placement were matched with her. We learned early on that placements through CPS were nothing but unpredictable! She was living with a great set of foster-only parents, who loved her dearly. In her mind, and in ours, they are like an additional set of grandparents. This was the day the social worker brought her to live with us. I will never forget this day. When you have a child come to live with you, it forever changes your life. We have parented 6 children. We are only parenting 2 of those children now. It is so awkward to have a child you know nothing about come to live with you, when you know nothing about the routines they are used to. You don't know what they like to eat, you don't know their bedtime routine, and not to mention how awkward the first bath is (in particular toddlers). Annie was placed in our home when she was 9 mo old. I remember those days as being days of comforting. She had such a hard time with the change in primary caregivers. She cried for days, and I held her close for days. I think we will always have a special bond from those days!
She brings such joy to our family. She is my family!


Two of my favorite people came into my life on April 18th, and I know it is more than a coincidence!



3 comments:

  1. What a special day today is! I love that you shared it with all of us- so happy for you & those special people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said - you are blessed to KNOW that you are blessed...you know? most folks just don't get it but you DO. please give my love to Annie, Max and Ben and have a little for yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me all teary eyed. :`-< I remember when Annie came to live with you, too. Such a special time.

    ReplyDelete