Monday, July 4, 2011

Cadillac Ranch- Amarillo, TX

Amarillo by mornin'... I have been singing this song for the past two days. 

I have always wanted to stop and visit the Cadillac Ranch to see the spray painted cars art. It was well worth the visit, and we made sure it was a part of our route to Colorado. In doing some research about where it was located, I also ran across the knock-off on the other side of town, the Bugg Ranch. My husband loves his old '72 VW red Super Beetle, so we had to add that to our list of "seeing cars that are stuck in the dirt" tour.

It took us awhile to find the Bugg Ranch. It is hidden behind an overpass and it is abandoned. Glad we went there in the morning. I kept waiting to see some hypodermic needles as we were walking to the cars. Within minutes a truck approached full of very polite teenage boys. They stayed in their truck until we left so they could continue to add more color to the art experience. If you are into VW bugs, this is neat. Compared to the Cadillac Ranch, this does not compare.  



The Cadillac Ranch is approx. 30-40 min away from this lovely sideshow. It is much bigger, and you will probably notice all of the cars parked before you will actually see it. This is very popular! Now there is this little sign, which everyone seems to ignore:


Including us.... with the help of some generous family that payed it forward with their spray paint cans. I know, I know...maybe not the best lesson to teach. But the children had a blast, and we did not read the sign aloud. This is the point where I justify my behavior~ by the way, I prefer black stripes instead of orange stripes (orange is not my color).






See dad... even the boy scouts broke the law (still justifying). We did pay it forward by passing on our spray paint cans. Does that make it any bettter???


If you are driving through Amarillo, sing a little George Strait song & grab some spray paint cans to head to this roadside sideshow. It is a memory that will last!

1 comment:

  1. I love the last shot!
    I remember me dad telling us about seeing this while driving truck in the states. It's super neat to be able to see what he was talking about. I wish he would have taken a camera with him, but he never did. He always said he never had time to stop anyway.
    So glad you took these photos and posted them! :)

    ReplyDelete