Sunday, February 6, 2011

Groundhog Day Celebration

Who would have thought that we would ever have school canceled for 4 days due to snow and ice? Not me. This is where I became so very thankful for teachers and wondered how parents that home school remain sane. Truly, I have no idea how you all do it! Each day we cooked our meals together, read a lot of books, completed some math homework, and played. 

It was approximately 4PM on February 2nd, when I realized it was Groundhog's Day. SO, I quickly went to the website called Groundhog Day and found some great items for teachers. Did you know that Punxsutawney Phil has his own website? I didn't until this day. I also never knew how to spell his name until this day.

The kids loved all of the activities. We colored pictures, completed a maze, word find, and math sheet which showed a special coded message. Max loved it! We even made our own Phil puppets. 

To make this- print off the groundhog face (front and back) from the website referenced above. we used toilet paper tubes for his house (Gobbler's Nob). Annie even drew a door on hers and labeled it Eli's Gobb. We hot glued the puppet head to the tip of an old foam paint brush. The kids have played with these all week long. It was a great activity using recycled items.

Not that we will ever be at home on Groundhog's Day again, but I know where we will be going next time it happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment